To support proposals for external funding, the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR) will consider requests for cost share (matching funds) required by the funding agency or sponsor.
- Cost share by the VCR will be considered for proposals carrying full Facilities and Administrative costs (F&A).
- The VCR will cover up to one-third of the remaining cash portion (after net adjustment for any cost share from non-UNL sources) of cost share required by the funding agency or sponsor, as stated in the RFP.
- The principal investigator (PI) must secure two-thirds of the cash portion of the required cost share specified in the RFP, as well as any in-kind cost share (this is typically funded by the PI’s department/center and college). In the case of multiple PIs from different departments and colleges, the relevant units must agree on how the cost-share will be divided. Non-UNL funding sources for required cost share are encouraged, but will not be included in calculating the VCR’s one-third share.
- Requests for cost-share from the VCR should be made at least one week prior to the proposal deadline. The request form is available in Microsoft Word and .pdf format below.
- The cost-share request must be approved prior to submitting the proposal, and attached to the proposal routing form.
- Voluntary cost-share (cost-share that is not required by the RFP) will not be considered by the VCR except in rare circumstances.
- Voluntary cost-share by departments and colleges generally is not the best use of university resources and is strongly discouraged.
August 15, 2002; rev. 7/23/2006