The Sponsored Programs Module in NUgrant is UNL’s internal system for tracking and approving external funding provided to the University for sponsored projects. NUgrant also serves as a repository for records from proposal submission to post award.
Before a proposal for external funding can be submitted to a sponsoring agency, the project information needs to be internally reviewed and approved by the project’s key stakeholders. The key stakeholders for each sponsored project include:
- Key personnel performing the proposed work. At a minimum this includes the Principal Investigator (PI), but may also include Co-PIs and/or other senior personnel
- Administrative personnel in the departments, colleges, or centers. This includes Deans, Department Chairs, and/or Departmental Grant Specialists
Each NUgrant form should contain the basic information needed to understand the scope of the work being proposed, including:
- Sponsor information
- Sponsor deadline
- Project abstract
- Funding opportunity/solicitation information
- Project budget and budget justification
- Any cost share described in the proposal narrative or budget that UNL will be contributing to the project
Once this information is entered into the form, it is electronically routed to the key stakeholders. Each stakeholder receives an email signifying that the form is routing and ready for their review. These individuals can then either approve the form or decline the form in order to make major corrections. Please contact the pre-award grants coordinator prior to declining a form to see if they can make the needed edits without needing to decline the form. If a form is declined, it will require re-routing and re-approval from any stakeholders who had previously approved the form.
When reviewing a NUgrant form for approval, please consider the following:
- Does the project make sense to undertake (e.g. strategically, financially)?
- Effort/time – Are project personnel over-committed or unlikely to be able to perform the work? Are the correct amount and type of person months noted (academic/summer) for project personnel?
- Appointments – Have the correct department, college, and/or centers (if applicable) been designated for project personnel?
- Budget / Justification:
- Is the budget reasonable for the proposed scope of work?
- Is any cost share being committed necessary and available to the project?
- Is the appropriate Facilities & Administrative rate being applied?
- Note: If a waiver is requested, approval is required from both the department chair & the college dean and then also from ORED. Please contact your pre-award grants coordinator for detailed information on seeking a waiver/reduction in F&A.
- Compliance Areas:
- Are responses consistent with the type of work to be performed (e.g. Human Subjects/Vertebrate Animals noted if proposed/budgeted)?
- Are any special considerations for requirements beyond the life of the agreement, such as Intellectual property, additional space/equipment needs, etc., noted on the form?
- Are any special restrictions, such as limits on foreign involvement, export controlled items/technology, or required prior approvals, noted on the form?
Should you have any questions, please reach out to the PI, the departmental specialist or the pre-award coordinator involved in the project.