Posted February 26, 2021 by Ashley Washburn
Throughout 2021, the University of Nebraska is transitioning from using Box for file storage to Microsoft 365 storage and collaboration tools, including OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams. Information Technology Services has provided tips to help individual researchers and research teams make the transition. By 2022, Microsoft 365 products will be the university’s preferred storage option.
Beginning May 17, no new data will be uploaded to Box. Department migrations are underway at UNL and will continue through mid-2021. A full timeline and description of the plan is available here. The ITS website has additional information about why NU is making this transition and tips for making it simpler, including an FAQ guide, a list of known issues and training resources.
What researchers can do now
- It is not too early to begin transitioning files and data to the Microsoft suite. Teams or individuals who want to begin using Microsoft storage solutions prior to their department’s scheduled migration may complete an opt-in form to begin the transition sooner. The early opt-in form expires May 12. User authentication with TrueYou credentials is required.
- Prior to requesting a new storage solution, researchers are strongly encouraged to contact their unit’s IT support personnel to determine the optimal time to make the transition and to decide whether individuals’ file migration should be coordinated with their department, research center or other unit.
- Before selecting a new data storage destination, individuals should carefully consider the type of data, length of storage need and volume of files. Although Microsoft storage solutions are available to all university employees, there may be additional costs for some types of data storage. Using this shopping cart feature, research teams are encouraged to start exploring options and pricing now. The Holland Computing Center also offers storage solutions for those with large volumes of data.
- By March 1, researchers who have been using the restricted Box BAA/Box for Research option for sensitive data will have an equally secure option within Microsoft products. This need can be noted in the opt-in form.
- Any migration plans initiated by an individual or a team will end May 12. From May 17 through July 1, ITS will begin the mass migration of files for all other users.
The ability to add new files to Box will cease May 17; however, users will be able to access existing files, including BAA folders, until Box is decommissioned Dec. 31.