June 17, 2020
As more faculty, staff and students begin looking forward to fall, the safety of our community remains the highest priority. The Office of Research and Economic Development and the Research Task Force will be communicating frequently on topics and updates that are applicable to research and creative spaces. The following information addresses some of the most commonly asked questions from the Nebraska research community.
This communication is being distributed to PIs with approved research and creative activity re-opening plans as well as the Associate Deans for Research. Please share this guidance with members of your research team as appropriate.
What to do if you are notified of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis from an individual who has been in your research lab or creative activity space
Within the past 7 days:
- Follow CDC guidance and evacuate the space. If possible, plan to evacuate for at least 24 hours prior to cleaning and disinfecting.
- Contact the UNL Facilities service desk 402-472-1550 to arrange for cleaning and disinfecting of the space.
- After the area has been appropriately disinfected, it can be opened for use.
- Workers without close contact (< 6 feet for ≥ 15 minutes) with the person who is sick can return to work immediately after the space has been disinfected.
More than 7 days:
- If it has been more than 7 days since the person who is sick visited or used the facility, additional cleaning and disinfecting is not necessary.
- Continue routine cleaning and disinfecting following UNL’s Laboratory Cleaning and Disinfecting SOP where applicable.
Common Spaces, Meals and Breaks
- Use of break rooms / lunchrooms should be limited to allow adequate social distancing (space and time).
- When possible, meals should be eaten within a private work space. When a private workspace does not exist, please ensure there is a designated space to be used to eat meals and that allows for social distancing and that adequate sanitizing wipes are readily available for disinfecting the surfaces before and after each use.
- Use of shared spaces should be scheduled when possible to avoid large numbers using the space at one time.
- Rearrange or remove furniture in common spaces to promote social distancing.
- Post Cleaning and Disinfecting Protocol for Hard Surfaces signage in common spaces and areas designated for meals. Signage can be modified to be applicable to the space.
- Post other applicable signage in common spaces reminding personnel to follow social distancing practices.
- Disinfecting wipes and most sizes of disposable gloves have arrived on campus and orders received prior to June 15 will be delivered and billed within the week.
- Future PPE orders made through the web form will be available for curbside pickup at the Prem S. Paul Research Center at Whittier School.
- PPE items not available on the web form should be procured through the normal eSHOP ordering process.
- Cloth face coverings are expected to start arriving mid-June and will continue to arrive through the beginning of August. The process for distribution is TBD.
- Plans for PPE ordering and distribution for the Fall are in process and will be communicated soon.