Initiative on Expert Review of Grant Proposals
Office of Research & Graduate Studies
To foster the success of competitive proposals for external funding, the Office of Research will provide assistance in obtaining peer review of federal grant proposals prior to submission.
- The investigator must commit to preparing a complete draft of the proposal including budget at least one month before the deadline for proposal submission.
- Three months prior to the submission date, the investigator must submit a completed Request for Expert Proposal Review and a list of external experts on the topic of the proposal. A draft of the goals/aims and project summary of the proposal must be attached to the request.
- Compensation for external reviewers will be provided by the Office of Research.
- At least three months prior to the submission date, the investigator consults with the department chair and secures the chair's support for the project, based on the investigator's commitment to a timeline in which a complete draft of the proposal will be completed one month before the submission date. The investigator, in consultation with the chair and colleagues in the field, generates a list of appropriate external (at least 5) peer reviews.
- No later than three months prior to the submission date, the investigator completes the Expert Review Request Form (with the needed materials) and submits electronically to the Office of Research website.
- The Office of Research secures the external reviewers. Typically, two external experts would be invited to review the proposal and provide an in-depth critique of its strengths and weaknesses. Feedback will be provided to the PI within two weeks.
- At least one month prior to the submission date, the investigator submits an electronic version of the complete proposal to the Office of Research by email to email@example.com.
- Reviewers are sent an electronic copy of the proposal one month before the submission date and provide the review within 14 days.
- The investigator has approximately 14 days to incorporate the recommended changes.
- Final proposals, including budget and completed routing form, must be submitted to Office of Sponsored Programs at least 48 hours before the deadline.