Composition of the IACUC
The members of the IACUC are appointed by the institutional official (IO) and include:
- At least four practicing scientists experienced in animal research
- One member whose primary concerns are in a non-scientific area
- One member not affiliated with the university and not a member of the immediate family of a person who is officially affiliated with the university
- The university attending veterinarian
Members are appointed for three-year renewable terms. The chairman of the committee is appointed by the IO from the members of the committee.
Responsibilities of the IACUC
The IACUC oversees the university’s compliance with all applicable federal, state and institutional policies, laws and regulations. The committee
- Monitors the use of animals in teaching, research and extension at university animal facilities.
- Reviews protocols for animals used in teaching, research and extension.
- Evaluates animal facilities and programs at the university every six months.
- Prepares the annual USDA report for the university.
- Reviews concerns involving the care and use of animals and, when warranted, investigates these concerns.
- Assists in establishing training procedures for scientists, research technicians, animal technicians and other personnel involved with animal use, care and treatment.
The IACUC is authorized to suspend an activity involving animals in accordance with applicable policies and regulations.
The IACUC maintains communication with other university committees that have related responsibilities.