Policy for Choosing the Nebraska Lecture Series Speakers
- A call for nominations will be sent annually to all department chairs, to the Faculty Senate, to the Research Council (RC), and posted on Today@UNL, the Scarlet and the Daily Nebraskan in March of the preceding academic year. A one-page summary of the rationale for the nomination, along with a current CV, will be requested from the person making the nomination.
- All nominations shall be sent electronically to the Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED).
- The nominations will be screened for completeness and merit (major recent accomplishment(s) and ability to communicate this work to a multidisciplinary audience) by RC Coordinator and by the Chairperson of the RC.
- The nominations will be kept confidential and speakers will be selected soon after the nomination deadline. An overall ranking will be established by a vote of the RC. Nominations may be kept active for up to 2 years.
- The Council will make every effort to reflect the diversity and currency of research and creative activity and scholarship on campus. The RC will recommend the speakers for the Nebraska Lecture Series to the Vice Chancellor for Research & Economic Development (VCRED), who will approve the recommendation and invite the chosen speakers. If the VCRED disapproves of the final choices, s/he will discuss this with the Chairperson of the RC and provide another recommendation which will be considered by the RC at a meeting or by an email ballot.
- The chosen speakers will be notified immediately.
- The venue, date, and time will be selected by the ORED to ensure that there are no major conflicting university functions.
February 21, 2011