Research News
Information to enhance your success at UNL | UNL Office of Research | Jan. 2012


Traveling to Cuba

While the Obama administration has made efforts to improve U.S. relations with Cuba, travel to the country is still highly regulated. Travelers to Cuba need to obtain a license from the U.S. Department of Treasury. Additionally, they may need to apply for a license from the U.S. Department of Commerce to take laptop computers, equipment or technical data overseas.

To travel to Cuba, you will need:

  1. A license from the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
  2. A license from the Department of Commerce for items or equipment you may be taking with you. Some exceptions may apply for personal belongings.
  3. A tourist visa or a "Tourist Card" from the Cuban Interests Section.
  4. Travel arrangements made by an OFAC-certified travel provider.
  5. Sufficient monetary funds. Please note that per diem rates apply for all expenses incident to your trip while in Cuba, as established by the State Department.
  6. Cuban health insurance, purchased upon arrival.

If you will be traveling to Cuba to attend a conference or to conduct other university-related activities, contact Research Compliance Services at 472-6929.

This international checklist offers additional tips; more information is available on the Export Control webpage.

    email E-mail this story

    print Print this story

    Share Share this story

    Home Back to home
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    © 2018 University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Research and Economic Development | Subscribe/Unsubscribe

    The University of Nebraska–Lincoln is an equal opportunity educator and employer.